Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I Seek Beauty All My Days

One of my favorite novelists, Catherine Cookson, has an autobiography called Our Kate. In it she wrote,
"I will seek beauty all my days.
Within the dark chaos of a troubled world I will
seek and find some Beauteous Thing.

From eyes grown dim with weeping will shine a Light
to guide me, and in Sorrow's Hour
I shall behold a great High Courage.

I shall find the wonder of an infinite Patience,
and a quiet Faith in coming Joy and Peace.

And Love will I seek in the midst of Discord and
find swift eager hands out and stretched in welcome.

I will seek Beauty all my days, and in my quiet
I shall not be dismayed.

I shall find God."

This reminds me of the old rag picker in The Mad Woman of Chaillot by Jean Giradoux whose famous line is, "I hate ugliness. I love beauty."

What about you? Will you seek the ugliness everywhere or will you, like me try to find beauty and what is worthy all the days of your life?

Did you know that you could choose which one you will seek?

1 comment:

  1. I read this poem decades ago but never knew who the author was. Thank you. It is one of my favorite poems. The first line is a mantra I say to myself in painful or troubled times as a reminder.

    ReplyDelete