Sunday, June 21, 2009

One of the Best Movies I've Ever Seen

Last night I watched "Arranged" on instant play Netflix and I am still mesmerized by its beauty, truth and message of love that transcends cultures, religions and habits.

Listed as a film from "Cicala Filmworks", written by Stefan C. Schaefer and Yuta Silverman and directed by Mr. Shaefer, this film needs to be recognized by the millions of people who go to the movies and overlook a powerhouse like this.

The story concerns an Orthodox Jewish woman, Rochel, who is a teacher's aide in a Brooklyn elementary school and a Muslim teacher, Nasira. How they develop a friendship without denying their heritages and family habits, is a testimony to love which is one of the real secrets of the power of film and the arts.

This film is transcendant meaning it provides a way for the viewer to see oneself and transcend to a higher level of understanding of God, love and perhaps how far we can all go in becoming the world of love that is possible for us.

This is a "must see" and if I were awarding stars, in a 5 star world, this film earns 6 stars.

Compared to "Slumdog Millionaire" which is rough and wrenching and undeserving of the "Best Picture of the Year" oscar, this film wins my "Salti", for being salt and light in a dark and tasteless world.

1 comment:

  1. I have not heard of this, so thanks for sharing. Will try to find it. I agree that Slumdog was not up to my expectations, but still an interesting movie about the culture of India and the terrible choices that people have to make living in poverty. So, I did like it, although I wasn't convinced about the best picture thing.

    ReplyDelete